Established in 1982 in Los Angeles, the Formosan Association for Public Affairs (FAPA) is a world-wide, Washington headquartered, non-profit organization that is set up:
(1) To promote international support for the right of the people of Taiwan to establish an independent and democratic country and to join the international community;
(2) To promote relations and cooperation between Taiwan and the United States;
(3) To protect the right of self-determination for the people of Taiwan;
(4) To promote peace and security for Taiwan; and
(5) To advance the rights and interests of Taiwanese communities throughout the world.
FAPA’s mission is educational. The organization provides US policy makers, the media, scholars and the general public with information on issues related to Taiwan. FAPA informs and updates Members of Congress and their staff on Taiwanese issues. FAPA seeks to articulate the point of view of the people of Taiwan.