- 文章委員會（Article Committee）
- 藝術委員會（Art Committee）
每一個委員會有一套操作的程序（Operation Manual），審查能登上網站的「我的故事」（My stories）及「我們的旅程」（Our Journeys）的文章和台美藝術家及其作品，以建立誠信度（Credibility）。
- 收集更多的台美人資料（Who’s Who），呈現台美族群的優秀及多元化。
Introduction to the Taiwanese American Archives, 2020
By T. A. Archives
In early 2013, six first-generation Taiwanese Americans from different places across the United States, after having held a number of telephone conferences, finally came to a resolution: they would begin to collect, record and preserve historical documents, articles, and artifacts related to Taiwanese Americans’ first arrival in the U.S. in 1949, up until the present.
The first few tasks were to set up a website for Taiwanese American History: taiwaneseamericanhistory.org, to find a space in Irvine, California to serve as the T. A. Archives Center, and to hire employees and recruit volunteers to work on this project.
The website was first published in May 2013, and then converted to another platform. A year later, it was converted again, and a full-time staff was hired to maintain the website and upload the collected information to it. A few part-time employees and volunteers also helped us. We are currently still looking for web specialists to upgrade the website so that we can systematically preserve and display our historical records. This way, scholars and the public can easily find the information they are looking for.
In order to collect historical information, we established two committees: the Article Committee and the Art Committee. Each committee has its own operation manual. The Article Committee reviews articles for “My Stories” and “Our Journeys,” while the Art Committee reviews Taiwanese American artists and their artworks. Once the articles are reviewed and accepted by the majority of the members in the responsible committee, they are uploaded on T. A. Archives’ website. This process ensures that a group of Taiwanese Americans, rather than any single individual, makes the decision of what information belongs in our collection.
We welcome everyone to use our website. We hope that in the near future, this archive will be able to record an up-to-date history of Taiwanese Americans.
We have been collecting historical information from various media including books, magazines, and newspapers published by Taiwanese American individuals and organizations since the 1950s. Many T. A. support us by providing us with their own stories, or stories of their friends. Many also donate books that they either published themselves or were published by T. A. Organizations.
We also established “Private Collections” on the website to provide T. A. individuals with an additional place to preserve the personal historical information they’ve collected over their lifetime.
In the past three and half years we have uploaded about ten thousand pieces of historical information to the website. We also display the cultural and historical artifacts that we have collected at our Archives Center, which is open to the public.
The first Archives Center was established in February of 2014 in Irvine, California, in an industrial park with an area measuring approximately 3,800 square feet. In July 2016, the Center was moved to a two-story building in an office complex, which measures approximately 19,000 square feet. We currently have no shortage of space.
The layout of the Taiwanese American Archives Center is as follows:
- Library 1: Contains books published by Taiwanese American individuals and organizations only. Genres include biographical works, literature, politics, artist’s books, life, health, religion, etc.
- Library 2: Magazines, journals, special editions and newsletters published by Taiwanese American organizations and binders of private collections
- Library 3: Newspapers, magazines, books, and artifacts
- Library 4: Publications and program books from various Taiwanese American Associations’ summer conferences
- Library 5: Artifacts, T-shirts, hats, handbags, and flags created for events hosted by Taiwanese American organizations
- Display Window: Historical artifacts
- Display Corridor: Photos of various activities and documents
- Oil paintings which depict the footprints of Taiwanese Americans; our collection currently contains a total of 31 paintings
- Two conference rooms
- One administrative office
In addition to collecting historical information, T.A. Archives has been collecting and posting information about current Taiwanese American activities since 2015. Each year we invite a number of Taiwanese Americans to vote for the year’s top ten most important T.A. events, and we publish the results on our website.
Since May 2015, we have issued a monthly newsletter to report on our progress and activities, and to ask for help from the T.A. community. Thanks to this, we’ve received a lot of moral support and assistance in our collection efforts from the Taiwanese American community.
We’ve also advertised T.A. Archives to the community on a number of different occasions, such as summer conferences, cultural events, concerts, and other Taiwanese American events. We hope to introduce our history project to as many Taiwanese Americans as possible, so that we can reach our historical mission soon.
We encourage Taiwanese Americans to donate their historical artifacts to the Center so that they can be permanently displayed to the public.
Our future goals are:
- To systematically organize the collected historical information and to publish a series of historical books, called Encyclopedia of Taiwanese American
- To set up a permanent museum or T. A. History Center
- To establish a strong organization with good human resources
- To further solidify our financial resources to ensure the long-term operation of this history project
- To collect more historical information on our young generations
- To establish an English version of the T. A. website
- To publish a series of historical books in English
- To create videos and films to show Taiwanese American history in a visual medium
- To collect more biography information on Taiwanese Americans (Who’s Who)
The Front Door of the First Archives Center (第一個台美史料中心的前門), Irvine, CA, 2014
The Lobby of the First Archives Center (第一個台美史料中心的大廳), Irvine, CA, 2014
The Lobby of the Current Archives Center (台美史料中心的大廳), Irvine, CA
Library Room 1: Books Published by T. A. Individuals and Organizations (圖書室1：陳列台美個人及團體出版的書籍)
Library Room 2: Magazines Published by T. A. Organizations & Binders of Private Collections (圖書室2：陳列台美團體出版的刊物和私人的收藏)
Library Room 3: Newspapers & Magazines by T. A. Organizations (圖書室3：陳列台美人的報紙、雜誌、書籍)
Library Room 3: Artifacts Used by T. A. Organizations and Individuals (圖書室3：陳列台美人的歷史文物)
Library Room 4: Journals and Programs books of Summer Conferences of T. A. Associations (圖書室4：陳列台灣同鄉會和夏令會的刊物)
Library Room 5: T-Shirts and Artifacts of T. A. Organizations (圖書室5：陳列台美團體的T-shirts和參與各地文化節活動的物件)
Display Window: Historically Important Documents and Artifacts (陳列櫥窗：重要的台美歷史文物)
Photos Aisle: Activity Photos and Documents (照片走廊：陳列各種的活動及文件的照片)
Oil paintings: Our Footsteps (油畫：描寫台美人走過的足跡)
Conference Room (台美史料中心的會議室之一)
Administration Office (辦公室)
Prepared by T.A. Archives 09/2017