Elaine Liu Memorial Scholarship winners 2018
Elaine Liu 紀念獎學金
明州台灣同鄉會 (Taiwanese Association of America -Minnesota Chapter, TAAMN) 受會員劉協同委託，為紀念其女兒Elaine Liu，特別在明尼蘇達台灣人基金會中設立美金兩萬元紀念獎學金，以逐年發放的方式來獎助1)目前在明尼蘇達大學院校就讀的台灣學生與台美人第二代 (包括大學部及研究所)，及2)賦有音樂才華之本州台裔高中生。
獎學金說明：獎學金共有兩項，其中大學或研究所一項，不限科系，高中一項限有音樂專長。此獎學金係由劉協同贊助，以紀念其故女Elaine Liu。劉協同是台灣屏東人、Honeywell退休的資深科學家，曾獲Honeywell終身成就獎，居住雙城五十多年，熱愛台灣、關懷社區，並曾任明州台灣同鄉會2009-2010會長。為鼓勵後進及具音樂才華的第二代，特別贊助兩項不同金額之獎學金。大學或研究所獎學金包括$1,500支票及獎狀一張。 高中部獎學金包括$500支票及獎狀一張。
Elaine Kate Liu
1975年8月26日 – 2017年7月11日
Elaine 是李惠美和劉協同的女兒，在明尼蘇達州布盧明頓長大。 她是一位出色的鋼琴家，參加並贏得許多頂級大賽，如Hiawasa State Competition和Schubert Club Competition。 她畢業於康奈爾大學，獲得勞資關係學士學位。 在明尼蘇達州工作了幾年之後，她搬到了加利福尼亞州，成為Nektar Therapeutics的一名成功的IT合規分析師。 她是一個慈愛的女兒和妹妹，一直喜歡跟隨兩個哥哥，亟於參與他們的活動。 她是許多人的忠實朋友，通過她的微笑和溫暖，影響了她同事的生活。 她喜歡散步和遠足，並幫助教堂合唱團。 最重要的是，她是上帝的孩子，現在和她的母親一起生活在主裡面。
- 申請：申請人必須繳交下列文件各一份：1）填寫的申請表格，2）大學以上所有正式的成績單(包括本學期成績），3）一封由系上或研究所指導教授寫的推薦函，並指出申請人並未接受系方(或台灣政府及其他來源)提供的全額獎學金或助學金 ，如果知曉的話， 4) CV或 résumé ，5) 以英文書寫的個人聲明（不超過一頁），包括背景、財務需要、長期目標與成就或特殊藝術才華 (可提供任何線上資訊或影片)。
- 審核與選擇：獎學金委員會由以下成員組成：黃政哲、胡維碩、賴瑞宏、盧盈裕、曾啟明、游本中、張儀君、邱新惠、洪筠婷、劉協同，及當年度同鄉會會長及副會長。審核與選擇依據以下標準：財務需要 (20%)、全部成績 (40%)、個人聲明或特殊藝術才華 (25%)、指導教授的推薦 (15%)。課程按時進展的申請人將優先考慮。
高中部獎學金申請資格: 以目前在明尼蘇達就讀，具音樂才華但不限樂器，父或母為台灣人的高中生 (9 – 12 年級) 為對象。
- 申請：申請人必須繳交填寫的申請表格和個人照，並提供三分鐘以上，一年內的音樂演奏 (不限樂器) 影片供評審。獲獎者必須同意在1、2月間舉行的明州台灣同鄉會新年晚會表演。
- 審核與選擇：獎學金委員會由以下成員組成：鄭仕侃、洪慧宜、閔馨瑩 、陳怡名、劉德強、張君綺，及當年度同鄉會會長及副會長。審核與選擇以音樂演出優越性為主，佐以音樂比賽成績或檢定為參考，不限歲數、年級，或過去本獎學金獲獎紀錄。
截止日期：申請表格附於本文件之後。申請必須在每年12月31日前提出 (2017 例外改為2018年1月23日)。得獎人在1月間宣佈，並在1、2月間舉行的明州台灣同鄉會新年晚會頒發，得獎人必須出席始得領獎。
申請文件PDF file or Word file請郵寄至 TAAMN.Org@gmail.com， 並 CC獎學金委員會主席：Chi-Ming Tseng firstname.lastname@example.org
成績單及教授推薦函可直接由學校寄出。請注意成績單必須為正式 (official transcript)。
Elaine Liu Memorial Scholarships
Under the entrustment of our member Mike S. Liu, the TAAMN (Taiwanese Association of America -Minnesota Chapter) has established a $20,000 scholarship fund under the Minnesota Taiwanese Foundation in memory of his daughter Elaine Liu to provide financial assistance each year to students studying at any college or university in Minnesota who (or who’s parents) are from Taiwan. A separate scholarship is offered to local high school students of Taiwanese descend with music talent.
Scholarship Description: Two scholarships will be awarded to outstanding students each year: one at the college level for any major, and the other at the high school level for musically talented students. The two scholarships are sponsored by Mike S. Liu in memory of his daughter, Elaine Kate Liu. A native of Pingtung, Taiwan, Mike S. Liu has lived in the Twin Cities for more than fifty years. A retired senior scientist from Honeywell who has won the company’s Lifetime Achievement Award, Dr. Liu has a passionate love for Taiwan and the Minnesota Taiwanese community and served as the President of TAAMN during 2009-2010. Through these scholarships, he hopes to encourage the pursuit of higher academic achievement and/or musical development among students of Taiwanese origin or descent. The college scholarship carries a $1,500 award and a certificate. The high school scholarship carries a $500 award and a certificate.
Elaine Kate Liu
August 26 1975 – July 11 2017
Elaine was born to Amy and Michael Liu and grew up in Bloomington, Minnesota. She was an accomplished pianist, competing in and winning many top awards like the Hiawasa State Competition and Schubert Club Competition. She graduated from Cornell University with a BS in Industrial and Labor Relations. After working in Minnesota for a few years, she moved to California and became a successful IT Compliance Analyst for Nektar Therapeutics. She was a loving daughter and a little sister, always loved to follow her brothers, vying to be part of the action. She was a loyal friend to many and impacted the lives of her co-workers, through her smile and warmth. She enjoyed walking and hiking and helped the church choir. Most importantly she was a child of God now lives with her mother with the Lord.
College or Graduate School Scholarship Eligibility: The scholarship is open to both undergraduate and graduate students (not including exchange students) pursuing the degree of any major in colleges or universalities in Minnesota. Applicants or at least one of their parents must come from Taiwan. Applicants may not receive full financial assistance for the whole school year from any source, including any scholarship that covers the full tuition, teaching or research assistantships. The award is intended to help the recipient make timely progress toward graduation and contribute more to Taiwan or the Taiwanese community after graduation.
- Application: The applicant should submit one copy of the following documents: 1) Completed application form, 2) Official transcript (including current semester) for all post-secondary degrees, 3) A letter of recommendation from a faculty or graduate school adviser. The letter should indicate that the applicant is not receiving any full fellowships, scholarships or assistantships from the department (or from the Taiwanese government or other sources), to the best of his/her knowledge, 4) CVor résumé, and 5) An one page personal statement in English. The statement should include information about the applicant’s background, financial need, long-term goals, and achievements or artistic/music talents (online information or video is welcome).
- Review and Selection: The scholarship committee is consisted of the following members: Cheng-Cher Huang (UofM Professor), Wei-Shou Hu (UofM Professor), Juey-Hong Lai (Retired Scientist), Ying-Yuh Lu (3M Scientist), Chi-Ming Tseng (Retired Scientist), Pen-Chung Yew (UofM Professor), I-Chun Catherine Chang (Macalester Professor), Hsinhuei Chiou (Minnesota State Professor), Yun-Ting Hung (Metropolitan State Professor), Mike S. Liu (Retired Scientist), and the current President and Vice President of TAAMN. The review and selection will be based on the following criteria: financial need (20%), overall academic record (40%), recommendation from the faculty adviser (15%), and merit of personal statement or special artistic talent (25%). Preference will be given to the applicant who is making timely progress toward graduation.
High School Scholarship Eligibility: The scholarship is open to musically talented high school students (grade 9 to 12) in Minnesota who has at least one parent from Taiwan. Both instrumentalists and vocalists are encouraged to apply
- Application: The applicant should submit a completed application form together with a headshot, and provide a video recording of a music performance made within this past year, no less than 3 minutes long. The applicant must agree to perform at the TAAMN New Year party after winning the award.
- Review and Selection: The scholarship committee is consisted of the following members: Kent Cheng (Doctor of Musical Arts), Jessica Hong (Doctor of Musical Arts), Cindy Min (Doctor of Musical Arts), Yi-Ming Chen (Doctor of Musical Arts), Bacco Liu (Doctor of Musical Arts), Chun-Chi Chang (Doctor of Musical Arts), and the current President and Vice President of TAAMN. Selection is primarily based on the excellence of music performance, with minor consideration to music competition results and/or music exam certificates: the review does not account for the applicants’ grade/age or past winning history of this scholarship.
Deadline: The application forms are attached at the end of this document. The application must be e-mailed before December 31 each year (except 2017, which is on Jan 23, 2018). The recipient will be publically announced in January through the email. The award will be presented at the New Year Party of TAAMN held in January or February. The recipient must be present to receive the scholarship.
Transcript and recommendation letter can be sent from the school directly.
Please note that transcripts must be official transcripts.
Applicants will be notified when the package is received in full.
Please go to next pages for the application forms.
College Scholarship Application Form
|Name-Last, First, Middle||Telephone No.|
|Present Address||Student ID. No.|
|Permanent Address||Country of Citizenship|
|E-Mail Address||Type of Visa or US Citizen|
|Names of parents to indicate you are of Taiwanese descend if you are not from Taiwan:|
|Previous College Institution||Major||Degree||Year||Cumulative GPA|
|Previous Graduate Institution||Major||Degree||Year||Cumulative GPA|
|Date of entry into current university in MN||School and Major||Cumulative GPA|
|Degree sought||Proposed Graduation date ( Semester & year )|
|List any scholarship, fellowship, assistantship and awards you have held (past and current) in a separate resume or CV.|
High School Scholarship Application Form
|Name-Last, First, Middle||Telephone No.|
|Present Address||Student ID. No.|
|Permanent Address||Names of Parents:|
|Please send your picture in a separate document with your name as part of the document name.|
Education and Music Talent
|Instrument(s)||Name of private teachers (list all)|
|Award(s) won||Music exams, certificates, or music ensemble experiences:|
|Link to a solo or accompanied music performance video within one year. Must be more than 3 minutes and complete. Performance can be done in a private or public environment.
By submitting this form, you agree to perform at the TAAMN new year party if you win the scholarship award.
Source from TAA-MN 12/2017
Posted in 12/2017